Monday, January 6, 2014

2014 - My First Fully Authentic Year!

It's a new year, and I am feeling mighty...ME! Over the last two years, I have been popping blogs and books about authenticity and spirituality like tic tacs. From Gabby Bernstein's "May Cause Miracles" novel to Mastin Kipp's "The Daily Love" blog, my journey for self-acceptance and connection to God has taken over my life. I would plan my Sunday morning gym workout around Super Soul Sunday. Oprah and sweaty, breathless Tyler quickly became the best of friends. I still wonder if the disapproving looks I received were because of the dying cow noise I tend to make while running or the fact that a 20 year old male was watching Oprah on the treadmill. Do you have any insight you could offer?! 

Now - onto why 2014 is my first year I feel free, me, and okay sharing my obsession with glee (was that last part too much?). As you will soon realize, perhaps the biggest struggle, learning factor, blessing, DAMN PROBLEM, fortune...I have certainly given it a few different labels...that I have finally embraced is my sexuality (my HOMOsexuality!). That word sounds so clinical...homosexual. Homosexual. "Hi, I'm Tyler and I am a homosexual." Why does this term feel so awk-sauce? I think I'll stick with gay. I am gay. And the journey to self-actualization and acceptance of "my gay self" has taught me more lessons than any other aspect of my life. I am thrilled to share what I have learned, what I continue to struggle with, and the screw ups I made I would TOTALLY redo if I could ;) But mostly, I hope to be a light for others hiding this BLESSING God has given. Specifically, I want to reach out to those people sitting in Church every Sunday wondering if they are an abomination condemned to Hell should they act on their natural feelings. I assure you, the answer to this is NO! 

2014 will be a freaking-fantastic year for this guy. FINALLY, I am out for all to know! In June 2012, I came out to my first (ex girl) friend...story to come soon. A year and a half later, I have finally fully accepted my sexuality, found a way to kill my naysayers (with KINDNESS...I swear!), and come out for the world to know! This is in large part thanks to my new boo who I am quickly falling in LOVE with! He doesn't know this, but it's so true! I just don't want to freak him out with the L-word bomb quite yet, however, I have let it slip about 17 times in the last week - "Wow, Troy, I Love...that cute beard you're rocking." Or "I looo....ve Taylor Swift. Okay! There. Now you know. I love her." Thank goodness I am quick on feet! Back to Troy - here is the teenage girl in me - WE ARE FBO (Facebook official for those of you 40 and older). This was how I came out to the world (or my 472 Facbook acquaintances). I have received abundant love, support, and kind words from my friends and loved ones. I used to place my insecurities onto others and lay (lie?) awake at night preparing myself to lose all of my friends and inevitably have to move to Zambia due to copious amounts of hate mail. None of this has happened...though it is -50 degrees out right now and Zambia sounds appealing. Since I have made it to this incredible place in my life, you can too! I have gone from that rock bottom feeling of hopelessness to seeing gay as more than okay...I see it as perfect. 

Cheers to life! Cheers to a year when I am no longer hiding an innate aspect of me that I now realize is God's blessing! Cheers to a world awakening and embracing differences! Cheers to YOU! 

Keep it GenYOUine,

Tyler :)

No comments:

Post a Comment